SELECT: CAREER DAYS / COLLEGE FAIRS
Thus far, our series on Selecting a Program has addressed these topics; select one if you have not yet had a chance to read the topioc:
- Selecting a Program: What to Know
- Why Architecture
- What does an Architect do?
- Rankings: Worth It
Amazingly, summer is now over, and fall begins next week. With the coming of fall comes the many Architecture + Design College Day / College Fairs (select link). However, due to COVID-19, the events are all virtual which means you can attend regardless of your location.
Below are the cities of the events along with their dates and times; for those listed, their platform.
- Boston: September 26 – 10:00 – 2:00pm – REMO
- Chicago: October 3 – 9:00 – 1:00pm
- Philadelphia: October 10 – 10:00 – 2:00pm – ZOOM
- Dallas: October 17 – 10:00 – 2:00pm
- New York: November 7 – Time to be announced
Attending these events is well worth your time even if it is virtual. And, if you have a commitment for one of the event dates, simply register for another. And attend regardless of your educational status. I actually remember meeting an enthusiastic 7th grader one year. Attend if you are a high school student, a transfer student or even a college student.
Held in the fall, these architecture Career Days/College Fairs are a great opportunity for you to learn more about pursuing an architecture degree. You can interact with representatives from different programs and ask specific questions (see examples below); you will connect with faculty, program administrators, and possibly students and alumni. Having these conversations will help you gain a better insight and help make a decision about which program is right for you.
Attending the college day is a must if you are interested in architecture. I learned a great deal about the colleges with whom I visited and the career paths involved in architecture; as a result, I became excited about my future in architecture. – Alysia Bounds
At these events you will have a chance to meet with many programs, allowing you to maximize your engagement in just a single day. And, some of the events provide workshops on topics such as selecting a school, career options, or financing your education, as well as portfolio reviews and guest speakers. Thus, kick start your research by attending one of the events in Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, or New York!
Questions to Ask School Representatives
- What degree(s)/major(s) do you offer?
- What is special or unique about your program?
- What is the admission process? Is a portfolio required?
- What financial aid/scholarships are available?
- How does your school assist students with post-graduation plans?
- Do you have a graduate program?
- Does the program offer hands-on and/or workplace experience as part of the curriculum?
- What kind of professional experience does your faculty have?
- What are the opportunities for study abroad?
Let ARCHCareersGuide know if you plan to attend or have any questions — firstname.lastname@example.org