Below are a list of both national and regional scholarships including those from AIA Components. Check the website for the details, application, and deadlines. Please note that the list does NOT include scholarships from individual architecture programs.
Architects Foundation: Each year, the Foundation awards thousands of dollars in architecture scholarships to high school students; to architecture students in NAAB-accredited undergraduate and graduate degree programs; to Architect Registration Exam (ARE) candidates who are working toward becoming licensed architects; and to licensed architects pursuing educational enrichment opportunities.
American Society of Indian Engineers and Architects Scholarship
ASIE, a Houston, Texas-based nonprofit organization, established their scholarship program in 1998. ASIE awards financial aid to students of Indian descent who live in the Houston area or have a parent or grandparent who is a member of ASIE. The amount and number of annual scholarships awarded depend on donations from contributors as well as sponsors. Recipients in 2020 received from $1,000 - $2,000 each. Deadline: Check website for deadline
Asian American Architects/Engineers Association
The Asian American Architects/Engineers Association (AAa/e) (www.aaaesc.org) is committed to the empowerment of design professionals in personal growth, professional excellence, business development, and leadership in our communities. The AAa/e Foundation is dedicated to providing opportunities and scholarships for students and other individuals in the profession of architecture, engineering or construction. Applicants must be members of the AAa/e Association. Deadline: Check website for deadline
Association for Women in Architecture Foundation: We offer cash awards to women students who are California residents or attending school in California, and who have completed at least 18 units in their major, in an accredited program granting a degree or certificate in one of the following majors: Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Design and Planning, Interior Design, and Environmental Design. Deadline: Check website for details
Bergmeyer Scholarship: Recognizes and supports leadership potential in interior design, architecture, and graphic design through a $1,500 scholarship* and an opportunity to take part in an immersive in-person learning and mentorship experience with some of the industry’s top designers at Bergmeyer.
Enterprise Rose Fellowship Partners: The innovative model of the Enterprise Rose Fellowship partners architects, landscape architects, and community-engaged artists with local community development organizations to facilitate an inclusive approach that results in sustainable, healthy, and affordable communities.
The Exhibitus Scholarship: We would like to offer our design scholarship program to any student of design. Exhibitus is an award-winning exhibit company specializing in experiential marketing, 3-dimensional design, and interactive engagements for global programs. We're happy to offer a $1,000 scholarship for students pursuing any degree related to design.
FORA: Minority students deserve robust, active, and sustained support, which is why we created the FORAship, which combines a substantial financial scholarship with a year-long internship program that can be renewed throughout a student’s academic journey.
Gensler Scholarships: Gensler is committed to the education of emerging design talent. The firm has awarded nearly $300,000 in academic scholarships to students and graduates over the last 20 years. Deadline: Check website for deadlines
Hip Hop Architecture x Bergmeyer Scholarship: Bergmeyer, the award-winning design collaborative based in Boston and Los Angeles, is partnering with The Hip Hop Architecture Camp (The HHAC) for its first-ever Scholarship and Internship Program for underrepresented high school seniors and college freshmen pursuing a career in architectural design.
HKS Health Fellowship: The HKS Health Fellowship is a one-year program developed to propel talented recent graduates who are committed to improving health care environments through design. The fellow pursues research while working on design projects in our award-winning health studio. Deadline: Check website for details
HOK Diversity x Design Scholarships: HOK has announced the first recipients of eight annual scholarships to be awarded to BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) design students. The HOK Diversity x Design Scholarships, each valued at $10,000, reflect HOK’s commitment to promote diverse voices within the AEC industry and communities across the U.S.
Houzz Scholarship Program: launched in 2016, supports the next generation of students studying architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, construction management, or skilled trades. Deadline: Check website for details
John J. Nelson Legacy Scholarship: The John J. Nelson Sr. Legacy Scholarship Fund was created to benefit and further the study of interior design and architecture by students of African American descent. Deadline: Check website for details
LFRT Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) Scholarship:
The scholarship will cover the cost of the ARE, provide $500 in study materials, a one-year subscription to AIA’s exam prep resource, ArchiPrep, one year of dues to AIA or the National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA), and one year of NCARB Record fees.
Lyceum Travelling Fellowship: Promotes collaboration, connectivity, and a design dialogue among schools, their students of architecture and the prominent architects who serve as program authors and jurors. Deadline: Check website for details
Moore Opportunity Scholarship: Benjamin Moore and the American Institute of Architecture Students partner together to create the Moore Opportunity Scholarship. This year, we aim to support students that have been impacted by COVID-19 and are now facing financial needs. Deadline: Check website for details
NAWIC National Assn. of Women in Construction Scholarship Foundation: The NAWIC Founders' Scholarship Foundation (NFSF) assists in providing the construction industry with trained employees through higher education. Deadline: Check website for details
NOMA Foundation Fellowship: In partnership with the AIA Large Firm Roundtable (LFRT), NOMA created a fellowship program to help increase the number of minority architects throughout the U.S. Deadline: Check website for details
Robert P. Madison Scholarship in Architecture: An annual scholarship that would encourage African American youth to aspire to a career in architecture. Deadline: Check website for details
Roula Alakiotou Schoilarship - Chicago Women in Architecture: Established in 2019 through the generous $100,000 endowment by Roula Alakiotou—pronounced “Roola Alah-kyo-too”—an original member of Chicago Women in Architecture (CWA), and recipient of the Chicago Women in Architecture Foundation (CWAF) Lifetime Achievement Award, this annual scholarship begins in 2021 and recognizes strong women architecture students in their final year of study for academic and leadership achievements. Deadline: Check website for details
Simpson Strong-Tie Student Scholarship: Established a scholarship program to assist architecture, structural and civil engineering and construction management students. Deadline: Check website for details
SmithGroup Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Scholarship Program: Supports and mentors students from historically underrepresented demographics in architecture, interior design, planning, landscape architecture and engineering. Deadline:Check website for details
Society of Architectural Historians: As part of its mission to promote the study and interpretation of the built environment, the Society of Architectural Historians offers Annual Conference fellowships and grants, fellowships for research and travel, and membership grants. Deadline: Check website for details
Stantec Equity & Diversity Scholarship: We are committed to providing a platform to support the next generation of leaders and champions in our industry, and we are focused on growing diversity within the science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM) fields. Deadline: Check website for details
Tile Contractors’ Association of America Architectural Scholarship: will award a $5,000 scholarship to a qualifying student who at the time of application is working toward an undergraduate or graduate level professional degree in Architecture or Interior Design. Deadline: Details on 2022 TCAA Scholarship will be posted by January 2022.
Urban Planning Degree Scholarship Guide: We all know that the cost of a college education, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels, is skyrocketing. Luckily, there are some urban planning-specific scholarships that can help you to achieve your goal of becoming an urban and/or regional planner.
Vectorworks Design Scholarship: The Vectorworks Design Scholarship invites undergraduate and graduate students in major disciplines related to the architecture, landscape architecture, entertainment, and interior design fields to submit their recent, finished work. Deadline:Check website for details
ZGF Scholarship Fund: The mission of the scholarship—to recognize and support students who demonstrate a talent and passion for architecture, interior design and urban planning —echoes ZGF’s commitment to mentor and foster the next generation of exceptional design talent. Deadline:Check website for details
AIA Components: Be sure to check with your local AIA Component for scholarships; many of them provide scholarships to architecture students – some are directly connected with a particular architecture program.
Make sure to check with your local AIA Component for additional scholarships.
- Alabama Center for Architecture: https://www.alcfa.org/scholarships/
- AIA Alaska Scholarship: https://www.aia.org/resources/6068178-kenneth-d-maynard-memorial-college-scholar
- AIA California: https://aiacalifornia.org/scholarships/
- AIA Inland California Scholarship Program: https://aiaic.org/scholarship-program/
- AIA San Diego: https://aiasandiego.org/scholarships
- AIA San Fernando Valley: http://www.aiasfv.org/aiasfv-fund/
- AIA San Francisco: https://aiasf.org/member-services/scholarships-and-grants/#
- AIA Silicon Valley Scholarships: https://aiasiliconvalley.org/page/Scholarships/Scholarships.htm
- AIA Colorado Scholarships: https://aiacolorado.org/scholarships/
- AIA Connecticut Architecture Foundation Scholarship: https://aiact.org/connecticut-architecture-foundation-scholarship/
District of Columbia
- AIA District of Columbia Scholarships: https://www.aiadc.com/program/scholarships
- AIA Palm Beach Architectural Student Scholarship: https://aiapbfa.org/architectural-student-scholarship/
- AIA Georgia Scholarships: https://www.aiaga.org/afga/scholarships/
- AIA Honolulu Scholarship: https://www.aiahonolulu.org/page/Scholarships
- AIA Chicago Foundation Diversity Scholarship: https://www.aiachicago.org/education/aia-chicago-foundation-diversity-scholarship/
- AIA Eastern Illinois Scholarships: https://aiaeic.org/Scholarships
- AIA Northeast Illinois Scholarship: https://aianei.org/services/scholarships/
- AIA Indiana – IAF Scholarship: https://www.aiaindiana.org/member-services/student-services
- AIA Iowa Scholarships: https://www.aiaiowa.org/news/192588/Scholarships-Awarded-to-Promising-Future-Architects.htm
- Kansas City Architectural Foundation: https://www.aiakc.org/about/kansas-city-architectural-foundation
- AIA Potomac Valley Scholarships Program: https://aiapv.org/PVAF_Scholarship_Program
- AIA Flint Scholarships: https://aiaflint.com/about-us/scholarships/
- AIA St. Louis - https://www.aia-stlouis.org/page/Education
- AIA Nebraska Scholarships: https://www.aiane.org/scholarships/
- AIA Las Vegas Scholarship: https://www.aialasvegas.org/page/20
- AIA New Jersey Scholarship: https://aia-nj.org/blog/tag/scholarship/
- AIA Architects League of Northern New Jersey: http://alnnj.org/wordpress/scholarships/
- AIA Santa Fe Scholarship Program: https://www.aiasantafe.org/scholarship-program
- AIA New York: https://www.aianys.org/scholarships-awards/
- Arnold W. Brunner Grant: https://www.aiany.org/architecture/competitions-grants/arnold-w-brunner-grant/
- AIA Brooklyn Architects Scholarship Foundation: https://aiabrooklyn.org/about/brooklyn-architects-scholarship-foundation/
- Center for Architecture: https://www.centerforarchitecture.org/scholarships-grants/
- AIA Westchester Hudson Valley Scholarships: https://www.aiawhv.org/scholarships
- AIA Triangle Scholarship: https://aiatriangle.org/scholarship-program/
- AIA Cleveland Chapter Scholarship: https://www.aiacleveland.com/scholarship
- AIA Dayton Foundation Deadline: March 26, 2021 https://daytonfoundation.academicworks.com/donors/the-aia-dayton-architectural-scholarship
- AIA Eastern Pennsylvania Scholarship: https://aiaeasternpa.org/2020-aia-eastern-pennsylvania-scholarship/
- AIA Rhode Island Architectural Forum: http://www.aia-ri.org/scholarships/about-aiari-architectural-forum
- AIA South Dakota Scholarships: http://aiasouthdakota.org/news-and-resources/scholarships/
- AIA Amarillo Scholarships: http://www.aia-amarillo.org/scholarshipsdonations.html
- AIA Texas Scholarships: https://texasarchitects.org/texas-architectural-foundation-taf/#application-process
- AIA Vermont Scholarship Fund: https://www.aiavt.org/resources/aiavtspaward
- AIA Central Virginia: http://www.aiacentralvirginia.org/scholarships
- AIA Hampton Road Scholarship: https://aiahr.org/Scholarships
- AIA Seattle Travel Scholarship: https://www.aiaseattle.org/event/2020-travel-scholarship-info-session/
- AIA Seattle Marga Rosa Hancck Diversity Scholarship: https://aiaseattle.org/awards/scholarships-for-individuals/marga-rose-hancock-diversity-scholarship/
- AIA West Virginia Scholarship: http://www.aiawv.org/awards-scholarships/scholarships/
- AIA Wisconsin Architectural Foundation Scholarship: https://donatetowaf.org/outofstatestudyscholarship/
- AIA Wyoming Scholarship: https://www.aia-wyoming.org/page/50
- AIA Europe Scholarship: http://www.aiaeurope.org/aia-europe-scholarship