This weekend, I am in Dallas to attend 2B an Architect. The event is one of the five Architecture/Design Career Day/College Fair held throughout the country. As mentioned in an earlier blog, these events are an excellent opportunity for you to learn in detail about architecture programs.
In a matter of hours, you can connect with from 4-8 or more programs. Even better is that you are connecting with faculty, representatives, alumni and/or students from the program. But, you need to be prepared — come prepared with a list of questions (see below). As you arrive, obtain the handout which should include the list of programs attending — strategize which programs you wish to visit.
Not always, but sometimes it is best to not arrive at the very start; if so, there may be lines of other students with their families at the tables of the programs. If you wait, there may be opportunities to have full conversations with the programs.
Not all, but some of the events have sessions for more details. For example, I led a session on “selecting a program” at the Boston event at the end of September; if interested in obtaining the slides, just complete the inquiry form.
Upcoming College Fairs
Dallas, TX – Saturday, October 13, 2018
AIA Dallas – 2B an Architect
Chicago, IL – Saturday, October 20, 2018
Consortium for Design and Construction Careers – Chicago Architecture + Design College Day
New York, NY – Saturday, November 3, 2018
Center for Architecture – Architecture & Design College Fair
Questions to Ask School Representatives
- What degree(s)/major(s) do you offer?
- What is special or unique about your program?
- What is the admission process? Is a portfolio required?
- What financial aid/scholarships are available?
- How does your school assist students with post-graduation plans?
- Do you have a graduate program?
- Does the program offer hands-on and/or workplace experience as part of the curriculum?
- What kind of professional experience does your faculty have?
- Are there opportunities for study abroad?
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.