PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: ATTENDING CONFERENCES
It begins today, Wednesday, June 22, 2022. What is IT?
AIA Conference on Architecture 2022
June 22-25, 2022
If you are an architecture student or recently graduated, you would be well-served to attend. It may be difficult as the conference begins this week but do plan to attend at some point in your career.
I attended my first AIA Conference in 1986 in San Antonio, TX. My highlight was visiting San Antonio for the first time and meeting I. M. Pei, the AIA Gold Medalist. I am so pleased that I was able to attend; so much so that I have attended an additional eight (8) conferences from 2006 – 2014.
As noted on the website, the AIA Conference highlights Seminars, Practicuum, Tours, Expo CE.
- Seminars: Choose from over 400 sessions on trending topics and materials
- Practicuum: Develop practical knowledge and skills through workshop style sessions
- Tours: Chicago’s architecture is nothing short of spectacular. Take it all in with expertly curated, architect-led tours of the city’s high-profile, historic, and avant-garde projects. Check the schedule to see the full list of 75+ tours.
- Expo CE: McCormick Place is turned into a 166,000 sq. ft. product playground that reflects Chicago’s iconic cityscape. Experience, touch, see, and get technical specs for the newest high-tech materials and solutions to hit the market from 500 of the industry’s best building product manufacturers.
- Keynotes: The designed world is getting more complex. This conference delivers the path forward. Hear from some of the biggest names in architecture, design, and beyond who are shaping the future. Perhaps amazingly, the closing keynote is President Barack Obama.
Even if you cannot attend, visit the website to see the seminar topics; for each seminar, there is a description providing along with learning objectives. More, it lists the speakers with a link to their bio. If seriously interested, you should be able to research their contact information to connect.
Of course, there are other conventions / conferences to consider attending including state and regional AIA conferences. Whatever you do, attend to learn more about architecture, meet new professionals who will become friends for life and visit new cities across the country and world.
October 26 – 30, 2022
November 1 – 3, 2022
San Francisco, CA